R.A. Dickey Seeking ‘Fair’ Deal As Mets Reportedly Set To Increase Offer
Mets CentralShop for Mets Gear
Buy Mets Tickets
NEW YORK SPORTS HEADLINES
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – The Mets are set to offer R.A. Dickey a contract worth around $25 million over three years, according to the New York Daily News.
The two-year, $20 million extension on top of his $5 million option for 2013 would be approximately $6 million less than Dickey’s asking price, the Daily News reported.
Dickey had some pointed comments about his situation Tuesday from the Mets’ annual holiday party, describing his return as a “coin flip.”
“You want what you think is fair,” Dickey said. “I feel like we’re asking for less than what’s fair. … There is a surprise sometimes when things don’t get done quickly and you already think you’re extending the olive branch.
“At the same time, they have a budget they have to adhere to. I don’t know those numbers and I try not to take it personally.”
The sides were $10 million apart following baseball’s Winter Meetings, according to the Daily News. Mets COO Jeff Wilpon acknowledged the gap — without getting into specifics — last week in an interview with WFAN.
“So far he’s asking for more than we’re willing to commit,” Wilpon told Mike Francesa of the reigning NL Cy Young Award-winner. “And we’re not offering as much as he’s willing to accept. Somewhere in between there’s a deal to be done. We’d love to have him back.”
He added what we all knew already — trading Dickey would be a real possibility if there’s no deal to be had. Retaining the 38-year-old for the final year of his deal remains an option, too. Wilpon also pulled out a surprise: the team’s budget was expanded after extending David Wright, giving general manager Sandy Alderson “some flexibility.”
Dickey said Tuesday that he won’t negotiate in-season. If he returns as a lame duck, he’d likely be a out of the picture for 2014.
“If that’s the decision they feel like is best for the club and that’s the decision that they make, I feel like it would be unfortunate, because it probably is going to mean I’m not going to be back,” Dickey said.
Alderson said during the Winter Meetings that he’d need a “difference-maker” in return for Dickey. The Amazin’s “made it clear” to the Texas Rangers that highly-touted prospect Mike Olt alone won’t seal the deal, the Daily News reported on Monday.
The Amazin’s later announced the knuckleballer would suit up as an elf at the Mets’ event for schoolkids affected by Superstorm Sandy.
A good sign, perhaps?
“Mets people were more optimistic about contract talks with Dickey than about trade talks” with Texas, the Daily News reported.
The Rangers lost out this weekend on top free-agent pitcher Zack Greinke, who signed a big-money deal with the Dodgers. The Royals, also linked to R.A., traded youngster Wil Myers to Tampa Bay on Sunday in a prospect-rich package for pitchers James Shields and Wade Davis.
Alderson told reporters there was “some progress” in the ongoing Dickey talks and he hoped to have “more clarity in a few days” — one way or another. Earlier Tuesday, Wright called the situation “a win-win” in an interview with WFAN’s Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton.
“We are progressing, albeit slowly, hopefully on an extension,” Dickey said. “I feel a real connection to this place. At the same time, you don’t want to be taken advantage of. So that’s where we kind of are.”
Dickey was brilliant for New York in 2012, going 20-6 with a 2.73 ERA and 230 strikeouts. He walked just 54 hitters in 233 2/3 innings pitched.
Three years, $25 million. Enough to get the deal done or should Dickey hold out for more? Be heard in the comments!