Reports: Mets, Blue Jays Closing In On R.A. Dickey Trade
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – R.A. Dickey and his knuckleball could soon be headed to Toronto.
The Mets and Blue Jays are closing in on a trade involving Dickey, according to multiple reports.
The sides are trying “to finalize (the) last piece,” WFAN and CBSSports.com baseball insider Jon Heyman tweeted Saturday.
According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Mets would give up Dickey and Josh Thole for catching prospect Travis d’Arnaud, right-handed pitching prospect Noah Syndergaard and major league catcher John Buck.
The 38-year-old starter had been seeking an extension from the Mets this offseason, his asking price reportedly $26 million for two years on top of his $5 million salary for 2013. He expressed his unhappiness with the negotiating process earlier this week at a team holiday function.
Dickey was brilliant in 2012, going 20-6 with a 2.73 ERA and 230 strikeouts en route to the NL Cy Young Award. He walked just 54 hitters in 233 2/3 innings pitched.
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson told reporters this week that he hoped to have “more clarity in a few days” — one way or another. It looks like that may come this weekend.
“In the aftermath of this trade, if it goes down, there’s no way to know who’s right. It’s going to take a couple years,” the Daily News’ Martino told WFAN radio on Saturday. “But it’s certainly a bold and risky move. And you have to give Alderson credit for that at least.
“It’s not a safe move at all to trade a Cy Young guy. He’s at least willing to take a risk, whether you agree with it or not.”
Would this be a great move or a big, big mistake? Be heard in the comments…