Reports: Mets, Blue Jays Agree In Principle To Send R.A. Dickey To Toronto
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – The R.A. Dickey trade saga has reached its final hurdle.
The Mets and the Blue Jays have agreed in principle on a deal involving the knuckleballer and as many as six other players, according to multiple reports.
The trade is pending a Dickey-Blue Jays contract extension, Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reported. WFAN and CBSSports.com baseball insider Heyman confirmed that the negotiating window will close at 2 p.m. ET Tuesday.
In a proposed deal reported by the New York Post, the Mets would send Dickey, catcher Josh Thole and a “non-elite prospect” to Toronto for big-time catching prospect Travis d’Arnaud, pitching prospect Noah Syndergaard, Major League catcher John Buck and “another non-elite prospect.”
The 38-year-old starter had been seeking an extension from the Mets this offseason, his asking price reportedly $26 million for two years on top of his $5 million salary for 2013. He expressed his unhappiness with the negotiating process earlier this week at a team holiday function.
Dickey was brilliant in 2012, going 20-6 with a 2.73 ERA and 230 strikeouts en route to the NL Cy Young Award. He walked just 54 hitters in 233 2/3 innings pitched.
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson told reporters this week that he hoped to have “more clarity in a few days” — one way or another.
“In the aftermath of this trade, if it goes down, there’s no way to know who’s right. It’s going to take a couple years,” Daily News reporter Andy Martino told WFAN radio on Saturday. “But it’s certainly a bold and risky move. And you have to give Alderson credit for that at least.
“It’s not a safe move at all to trade a Cy Young guy. He’s at least willing to take a risk, whether you agree with it or not.”
Is this a great move or a big, big mistake? Be heard in the comments…