NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Five blocks of the Coney Island boardwalk will soon no longer be made of boards.
A judge ruled last week that New York City may move ahead on a plan favored by Mayor Michael Bloomberg to replace those blocks of the wooden boardwalk in far southern Brooklyn with concrete and plastic planks.
Bloomberg has long wanted to replace the hardwood that makes up the boardwalks with more durable and environmentally friendly materials, like concrete and plastic composites.
City Parks officials have said concrete sections of boardwalk in the Rockaways and Coney Island held up much better during Superstorm Sandy.
“Nina,” out for a walk in Coney Island, said that sentiment is ridiculous – you cannot have concrete and call it a “boardwalk.”
“It’s like a sidewalk,” she told 1010 WINS on Dec. 1. “It’s not a boardwalk.”
But “Roman” said good riddance to the wood. He said it is slippery and just an excuse for people to sue the city.
“I fell every day because nails come out,” he said earlier this month.
Advocacy groups had filed a lawsuit to stop the plan, claiming it was not subjected to the necessary state and city environmental review.
The Coney-Brighton Boardwalk Alliance, which had filed the suit, released a statement saying they were disappointed in the decision. Meanwhile, the city said it was pleased that the replacement project may go ahead.
Do you think it will be a boardwalk without boards? Please leave your comments below…
(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)