Mets GM ‘Very Reluctant’ To Lose Top Pick For Michael Bourn
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Mets general manager Sandy Alderson is “very reluctant” to hand over his team’s high first-round pick for a quick fix in free agency.
“The blueprint here is to rebuild the farm system at the same time that we try to be competitive. For us to lose a first-round pick would be counter to that approach,” Alderson told SiriusXM’s MLB Network Radio on Sunday.
There’s been talk of the Mets trying to win a ruling to keep the selection — No. 11 overall — because the Pirates jumped ahead when Pittsburgh failed to sign its top pick in 2012. The top 10 picks are protected.
If New York is allowed stay at No. 11 and Alderson signs Bourn, the Mets would have to give up a second-round selection.
“We have added significantly to our minor-league system with the trade of R.A. Dickey and the acquisition of Zack Wheeler last year, so the farm system is in much better shape than it had been,” said Alderson. “So we’re in a position to at least consider the possibility of losing a draft pick. But at the same time we’re very reluctant to do so.”
The 30-year-old Bourn, represented by super agent Scott Boras, hit .274 with 9 home runs, 57 RBIs and 42 stolen bases for Atlanta last season.
“We continue to look, but I think, realistically at this point, there’s not a lot left on the shelf,” Alderson said. “So at some point we have to realize that, well, perhaps the outfield is not the strength of our team. But at least going into spring training we may be looking at what we have and not being able to make an addition.”
Alderson added he’d take another look at former San Francisco Giants closer Brian Wilson, who is coming off a second Tommy John surgery, in “the next several days.” The Mets have also “internally discussed” RHP Roy Oswalt, according to the New York Daily News.
Is Alderson taking the right approach here? Sound off in the comments…