Filed underHeard On 1010 WINS, WCBS, WFAN, Hurricane Sandy Carousel, Local, News, NY News, Radio.com - News, Superstorm Sandy, Syndicated Local, Syndication, Watch + Listen
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Following the devastation left behind by superstorm Sandy, the New York City Department of Buildings marked hundreds of homes for demolition.
The city said that extensive efforts have been made to contact three Staten Island homeowners before demolition on Tuesday, but said the owners are nowhere to be found.
But WCBS 880′s Alex Silverman reported that he was able to locate the displaced residents fairly easily.
“It’s not the case – I’ve been in touch with them all last week.” Ocean Breeze resident Richard Quinn told Silverman. “Oh yea, I signed the paperwork in December.”
His house is scheduled to be razed on Tuesday.
“The cost to repair is way beyond what the house is worth,” Quinn added.
At a home in Oakwood, a pair of electricians were working inside.
The workers told Silverman they were rewiring the home through a Rapid Repairs order.
“Getting a brand new house. I mean, they got a new boiler, new hot water heater,” one of the electricians told Silverman.
The man said he spoke to the homeowner, who said the badly damaged detached garage needs to go, but not the house.
At the third home, Silverman reported a phone number was taped to the door. The number goes to a bank, because the home has been foreclosed. The bank said they have not heard from the city, Silverman reported.
Despite the urgent notice from the city, it does not appear that these three homeowners are losing their homes without warning, Silverman reported.
The homeowners have until Tuesday morning to issue any objections to the planned demolition.
WCBS 880 has contacted the Department of Buildings for comment but has not yet heard back.
The houses that will be torn down are marked by a red tag noting that the structure is condemned.
Please offer your comments below…