CBS2-Header-Logo WFAN 1010WINS WCBS tiny WLNYLogo

News

Smoker Blamed For Fire That Ripped Through Hauppauge Motel

Fire generic image

TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES

From our newsroom to your inbox weekday mornings at 9AM.
Sign Up

HAUPPAUGE, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A man who fell asleep while smoking started a fire that severely damaged a motel in Suffolk County late Friday, police said.

Ten people were displaced by the fire at the Olympic Motor Lodge, at 650 Motor Pkwy. in Hauppauge. Some of the motel occupants were there because they already had been displaced by Superstorm Sandy.

Police said the smoker admitted he fell asleep with a lit cigarette and woke up to find his mattress on fire.

The flames then spread to other rooms. Everyone was evacuated safely, and no one was hurt.

The man had not been charged as of Saturday afternoon.

Please leave your comments below…