NEW YORK (WFAN) — Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano will hit free agency at the end of the season, and one thing is for sure: He’s going to get paid.
Which team ends up paying him is anybody’s guess, as the Bronx Bombers have stated repeatedly that they are attempting to get their payroll down to $189 million by the 2014 campaign.
Cano had dodged questions about his future contract, saying that his agent, Scott Boras, will take care of that for him.
The Yankees historically don’t like to talk contract extensions during the season, though in Cano’s case, the front office might decide to make an exception in an effort to lock up their superstar.
General manager Brian Cashman chatted with WFAN host Mike Francesa in Tampa on Thursday, and he shed some light on where the organization currently stands in regard to the four-time All-Star.
“(Cano) is an exceptional, high-end player who is a season away from free agency,” Cashman said. “Right now where that takes him and us remains to be seen. We’re not commenting any further than acknowledging that we made a significant offer and had some dialogue with his agent, Scott Boras. But other than that, there’s not much really to say.”
When Francesa inquired about Boras’ response to the offer, Cashman was predictably mum.
“I could (say something about Boras’ response), but I’m not going to,” Cashman said.
Following Cashman’s statement, CBSSports.com/WFAN baseball insider Jon Heyman reported that the Yankees and Cano are not close on terms, and are in fact tens of millions dollars apart.
GO TO THE GAME: Get your Yankees tix here
The 30-year-old had his $15 million option picked up by New York in October, which came as a surprise to no one.
Reports have surfaced that the two-time Gold Glove Award winner will be seeking a deal in the neighborhood of eight to 10 years with a yearly salary of $25 million.
“It’s not about the money, but I don’t want to go into details right now,” Cano said earlier this month, according to MLB.com. “I’m just focused on playing the game and helping the team win another championship.”
Despite a 3-for-40 stretch during the postseason, Cano had another stellar season at the dish in 2012. The four-time Silver Slugger Award winner batted .313 with 33 homers and 94 RBIs. He posted a .379 on-base percentage and smacked 48 doubles.
Do you think Cano will be back in the Bronx in 2014? Sound off with your thoughts and comments below…