NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Two major canned tuna fish companies have announced recalls due to problems with the seals on the cans.
According to the Food and Drug Administration website, Bumble Bee Foods has issued a voluntary recall of several varieties of its popular tuna products because the seals on the cans may be loosened, which can allow dangerous organisms to get in.
The recall is for 5-ounce cans of Chunk White Albacore and Chunk Light Tuna products that were distributed for retail sale around the country between Jan. 17 and Feb. 28.
“The recall has been issued because the products do not meet the company’s standards for seal tightness,” a company statement on the FDA website said.
So far, no illnesses have been reported.
Affected products are:
- Brunswick Brand 5oz Chunk Light Tuna in Water — 48 Count Case (Case UPC 6661332803)
- Bumble Bee Brand 5oz Chunk Light Tuna in Water — 48 Count Case (Case UPC 8660000020)
- Bumble Bee Brand 5oz Chunk Light Tuna in Vegetable Oil — 48 Count Case (Case UPC 8660000021)
- Bumble Bee Brand 5oz Chunk White Albacore in Water — 24 Count Case (Case UPC 8660000025)
- Bumble Bee Brand 5oz Chunk Light Tuna in Water — 6 Count Case of 4-Pack Cluster (Case UPC 8660000736)
- Bumble Bee Brand 5oz Chunk White Albacore in Water — 6 Count Case of 8-Pack Cluster (Case UPC 8660000775)
- Bumble Bee Brand 5oz Chunk White Albacore in Water — 6 Count Case of 8-Pack Cluster (Case UPCS 8660000776)
“Due to can integrity concerns, our top priority at this time is to remove these recalled products from distribution as soon as possible. We are working closely with our sales team and with retailers to help expedite the recall,” Steve Mavity with Bumble Bee Foods said in a statement.
The company has advised anyone with the recalled tuna to throw the cans in the trash and contact Bumble Bee Consumer Affairs at 1-800-800-8572 for reimbursement or any questions.
A full list of all recalled Bumble Bee products can be found on the FDA’s website by clicking here.
In a separate recall, Tri-Union Seafoods LLC announced a voluntary recall of 5-ounce cans of chunk white albacore in water under its Chicken of the Sea brand, also due to problems with the cans.
The company said faulty seams on the lids of the cans could lead to contamination and spoilage of the tuna.
The recalled products have a bar code of 0 48000 03355 0 and a Best By date Jan. 18, 2017 printed on the bottom of the can.
No illnesses have been reported.
“The health and safety of our consumers is paramount. As soon as we discovered the issue, we took immediate steps to issue this voluntary recall by alerting our customers who received the product and by asking them to remove it from store shelves,” Shue Wing Chan, President of Tri-Union Seafoods said in a statement.
Tri-Union Seafoods recall information line can be reached at 1-800-597-5898.
A full list of affected products can be found on the FDA’s website by clicking here.