NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – New York City is planning to close more low-performing public schools.
The Panel for Educational Policy approved the phasing out of 22 schools in Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx and Manhattan in a vote early Tuesday morning at a meeting at Brooklyn Tech High School.
M.S. 45 S.T.A.R.S. Prep Academy in Manhattan and Freedom Academy High School in Brooklyn will close by the end of the school year.
Twenty of the schools will be downsized or merged into another school or location:
• General D. Chappie James Middle School of Science, 76 Riverdale Ave.;
• J.H.S. 166 George Gershwin, 800 Van Siclen Ave.;
• J.H.S. 302 Rafael Cordero, 350 Linwood St.;
• P.S. 073 Thomas S. Boyland, 251 MacDougal St.;
• P.S. 167 The Parkway, 1025 Eastern Pkwy.;
• P.S. 174 Dumont, 574 Dumont Ave.;
• Sheepshead Bay High School, 3000 Avenue X.
• Jonathan Levin High School for Media and Communications, 240 E. 172nd St.;
• M.S. 203, 339 Morris Ave.;
• M.S. 142 John Philip Sousa, 3750 Baychester Ave.;
• P.S. 064 Pura Belpre. 1425 Walton Ave.;
• P.S. 230 Dr. Roland N. Patterson, 275 Harlem River Park Bridge;
• P.S. 050 Clara Barton, 1550 Vyse Ave.;
• Performance School, 750 Concourse Village West.
• Bread & Roses Integrated Arts High School, 6 Edgecombe Ave.;
• Choir Academy of Harlem, 2005 Madison Ave.;
• High School of Graphic Communication Arts, 439 W. 49th St.;
• J.H.S. 013 Jackie Robinson, 1573 Madison Ave.
• Business, Computer Applications & Entrepreneurship High School, 207-01 116th Ave.;
• Law, Government and Community Service High School, 207-01 116th Ave.