2 In The Kitchen: Whole Wheat Hotcakes
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Pancakes made without eggs? Bacon, but not from a pig? Could it really be true? The Manhattan-based vegan restaurant chain Blossom du Jour says these are two of the many meat and dairy free items on their menu.
For more information, click here.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe (.pdf)
BDJ Whole Wheat Hotcakes (serves 4)
- 1 cup organic all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup organic soy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons organic canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Whisk briskly the soy milk and apple cider vinegar then add the other wet ingredients to the cider/milk mixture. Combine all wet and dry ingredients, mix well. Heat skillet with vegan butter until it bubbles, pour a serving size spoonful of pancake mixture onto the skillet, flip pancakes when underside is golden brown. Top with peanut butter syrup, garnish with thinly sliced banana.
Peanut Butter Syrup Recipe
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup agave maple syrup
- pinch salt
Combine all ingredients and mix slowly.