Giants

Giants Co-Owner Tisch: Victor Cruz ‘Likely’ To Get Offer Sheet As RFA

Victor Cruz (credit: Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

Victor Cruz (credit: Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

New York Giants
Upcoming Games

Buy Giants Tickets Full Schedule
Giants Central
Shop for Giants Gear
NFL Scoreboard
NFL Standings
Team STATS
Team Schedule
Team Roster
Team Injuries

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Giants co-owner Steve Tisch says it’s “it’s possible, maybe even probable” that wide receiver Victor Cruz will receive an offer sheet as an unrestricted free agent.

And it’s making him a little “anxious.”

“What’s between possible and probable? Likely,” Tisch said at the NFL meetings Sunday, according to the New York Daily News.

Tisch thinks Cruz will get an offer “a little higher” than the $6 million per year owed to slot receiver Wes Welker, who signed a two-year deal last week with the Denver Broncos.

The Giants have placed a first-round tender on Cruz and have the right to match any contract. The team will get a first-round pick as compensation if Cruz signs elsewhere.

“The situation is he’s a very desirable athlete,” said Tisch. “I’d love him to be a Giant. I’d love him to be a lifer as a Giant.”

Cruz wants to get paid this offseason, though the market for slot receivers hasn’t exactly been kind.

Instead of going after Cruz to fill Welker’s spot, the New England Patriots signed Danny Amendola to a five-year deal, also in the neighborhood of $6 million annually. The St. Louis Rams, Amendola’s former team, and the Minnesota Vikings have been speculated as potential suitors, but aren’t expected to sign Cruz to an offer sheet, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. Colts owner Jim Irsay teased Indianapolis’ search for a receiver on Twitter. He later told reporters it’s “not Cruz.”

No first-round RFAs have received an offer sheet since 2003. Cruz’s tender is worth $2.879 million, which would be torn up if New York negotiates a new long-term deal.

Tisch said the Giants would “go as far as we can go to keep him on the team.”

Earlier this month, Giants co-owner John Mara said the team made a “very substantial offer” to Cruz.

“Let’s just say if he took our offer he’d be a very wealthy young man,” Mara said.

The Giants’ leading pass-catcher for the past two seasons, Cruz was reportedly asking at one point to be paid like a No. 1 receiver. He’s put up the numbers playing primarily in the slot.

The 26-year-old came out of obscurity in 2011 to set a franchise record with 1,536 yards, and followed that up with 1,092 yards last season.

Just pay the man already? Giants fans, sound off in the comments…