5 Ward Melville High School Students Hospitalized After Eating Brownies
EAST SETAUKET, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Five high school students were hospitalized Tuesday afternoon, after ingesting brownies brought to school by a classmate.
As CBS 2’s Jessica Schneider reported, sometime between the hours of 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m., the five sophomores at Ward Melville High School in East Setauket were taken to Stony Brook University Hospital after experiencing symptoms, including an elevated heart rate, according to the school district.
Three Village Schools spokeswoman Deirdre Gilligan issued a statement saying officials believe “that these symptoms were the result of the consumption of brownies potentially containing harmful toxins.”
The nature of the toxins was not specified.
Students at the school were shocked by the incident.
“It’s a mostly good school,” said Ward Melville senior Rotsey Marine. “I don’t know of any kids that would do anything like that. I’m honestly disappointed that it would happen.”
“Quite frankly I am (shocked),” student Alicia Marine added. “It’s sort of disturbing that you can’t even trust a brownie anymore. It’s scary.”
Suffolk County police, along with school district officials, were investigating Tuesday night, but they would not say if marijuana or other drugs were found in the brownies.
Parents picking their students up from sports practice Tuesday afternoon said they were concerned, but not necessarily surprised.
“It is a little disturbing, but you know, it’s not out of the ordinary of what you see every day and what goes on in school,” said one father of a high school junior. “It does make me nervous. You know, it’s very disturbing — in this school, especially.”
All five of the students were treated at Stony Brook University Hospital and then released.
The school district was promising Tuesday to impose disciplinary action if any students are found to have brought drug-laced brownies to this school.
Please leave your comments below…