Tax Deadline Help: Last Minute Tips
TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES
(CBS News) — With the midnight filing deadline looming just hours away, last-minute tax-filers are feeling the heat.
According to the Internal Revenue Service, 50 million Americans wait until April to start their tax-filing process.
What if I can’t make the April 15 IRS deadline to file my taxes?
- File an extension request, IRS Form 4868 – this can be done on the IRS website or through tax preparation sites and is a six-month extension of time to file
- Remember, an extension of time to file is NOT an extension of time to pay the taxes due
What if I can’t pay the taxes due by the April 15 IRS deadline?
- File and pay what you can
- Then, apply for an installment agreement on the IRS website – an installment agreement can be arranged for monthly payments for up to six years
What should I do with my tax refund?
- 90 percent of all refunds are received within 20 days of filing and the average refund is around $2,800
- Use it wisely: Pay down debt, purchase everyday items, invest in a rainy day, college, or retirement fund
What deductions should I file for? While deductions vary for every individual, don’t overlook valuable deductions made last year. Deductions can include:
- Clothing and furniture donations
- Mileage for volunteer work
- Student loan interest, for parents and students
- Day care and summer camp expenses (this is only a write-off for working parents)
How do I avoid common tax filing mistakes?
- File electronically: E-filed returns are 20 times more likely to be accurate than manually prepared returns, according to the IRS
- Double-check your work!
The following New York Post Offices will be open late on tax day:
Ansonia Station, 178 Columbus Avenue, Open 8 a.m.-8:30 p.m.
Bowling Green Station, 25 Broadway, Open 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
Cathedral Station, 215 West 104th Street, Open 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
Cooper Station, 934 Fourth Avenue, Open 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
FDR Station, 909 Third Avenue, Open 7:30 a.m.-8 p.m.
Gracie Station, 229 East 85th Street, Open 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
Grand Central Station, 450 Lexington Avenue, Open 7:30 a.m.-9 p.m.
Knickerbocker Station, 128 East Broadway, Open 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
Lenox Hill Station, 217 East 70th Street, Open 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
Madison Square Station, 149 East 23rd Street, Open 8 a.m.-7:45 p.m.
Murray Hill Finance Station, 115 East 34th Street, Open 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
Old Chelsea Station, 217 West 18th Street, Open 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
Peter Stuyvesant Station, 432 East 14th Street, Open 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
Planetarium Station, 127 West 83rd Street, Open 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
Times Square Station, 340 West 42nd Street, Open 8:30 a.m.-7:30 p.m.
For more post office locations, visit www.usps.com.
© 2013 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.