Third Victim Of Boston Marathon Bombings Was Boston University Grad Student
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — The third person killed in the Boston Marathon bombings was a student at Boston University.
Lu Lingzi was a graduate student originally from China’s northeastern city of Shenyang, a state-run Chinese newspaper reported Wednesday.
In her early 20s, she often shared photos of her home-prepared meals on her Twitter-like Chinese Sina Weibo account – a blueberry-covered waffle one day, spinach sachettini with zucchini on another.
Boston University confirmed Wednesday that Lu was studying mathematics and statistics at the school and was due to receive her graduate degree in 2015.
She and two friends had been watching the Boston Marathon near the finish line.
Another of the three students, Danling Zhou, was injured, and is in stable condition at Boston Medical Center, BU said in a statement Wednesday.
Robert Hill, dean of Marsh Chapel, visited Zhou on Monday evening and again Tuesday afternoon. He reported that she underwent surgery on Monday and on Tuesday.
“She is doing well,” Hill said. “She has her friends around her, and she will soon have family around her.”
The third BU student was unharmed.
The university said counseling is available through the Dean of Students Office. A service of healing was to take place Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. at the University, and a gathering to remember Lingzi will be held on Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Burke Room of Agganis Arena.
To local soccer coach Jose Calderon and his twin boys Andres and Alejandro, Richard was more than just a talented teammate, he was the team’s spirit
“Say a player was feeling glum or blue he would come over and show the player some of his moves and cheer him up,” Andres Calderon said.
Martin’s father, Bill, and his oldest son, Henry, escaped unharmed. Martin’s mother, Denise, suffered a serious injury and his younger sister, Jane, lost a leg. She is only 7 years old.
Jose Calderon said their community will be focused on helping heal a family forever changed by a split second of evil.
“They will receive an outpouring of support the likes of which is hard to describe,” he told CBS 2′s Weijia Jiang.
As of Wednesday, no arrests in the attacks had been made, but authorities identified a potential suspect from video taken before the blasts, CBS News’ Bob Orr reported.
The person seen on the video is described as a white male and was wearing a white baseball hat, grey hoodie and a black jacket, CBS News reported.
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Security To Remain Tight For New York City Marathon
- Boston Marathon Bombing Suspects’ Sister Faces NYC Judge In Harlem Bomb Threat Case
- Boston Marathon Bombing Suspects’ Sister Accused In Harlem Bomb Threat
- High Spirits, Tight Security At 118th Boston Marathon
- Meb Keflezighi Becomes 1st American Man To Win Boston Marathon Since 1983
- Local Runners Look To Settle Unfinished Business at Boston Marathon