NEW YORK (WFAN) — Will star wide receiver Victor Cruz sign a long-term extension with the Giants?
And if so, when will he sign on the dotted line?
These are the questions that are plaguing Giants fans these days.
New York Giants co-owner John Mara said earlier this week that he remains confident that a deal with the Paterson, N.J., native will get done.
He’s been reiterating that sentiment all offseason, in fact.
“It will get done at some point,” Mara told reporters in late April. “Just be patient.”
Giants fans appear to be losing patience, and when Mara spent some time chatting with WFAN host Mike Francesa on Thursday afternoon, he was candid about the fact that he’s tired of discussing the issue.
“I just want to get through one day without somebody asking me about the Victor Cruz negotiation,” Mara told Francesa.
Big Blue assigned a first-round tender to Cruz in March. The tender means that Cruz was offered a one-year deal worth $2.879 million. As for an extension, the 26-year-old is said to want $10 million per season, while the Giants are reportedly inclined to only go as far as $7-8 million annually.
“There’s nothing new to report on it, Mike,” Mara said. “I mean, these things take time and I’ve said repeatedly that I believe we’ll get it done, and I still believe that. But sometimes you just have to be patient and let these things play themselves out. And at some point I hope we are able to reach an agreement, because we certainly want him back on this team.”
Cruz was a Pro Bowler in 2012, his second year in the league. He played in all 16 games for New York, catching 86 passes for 1,092 yards and 10 touchdowns.
The year prior he was just as effective, hauling in 82 passes for 1,536 yards and nine touchdowns in 16 games.
“He’s been a huge contributor for us, and I think it’s just a natural fit for him to be here,” Mara told Francesa. “We’ll get it done at some point, but I can’t give you a timetable on that because I just don’t know.”
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories