Cooking On The Couch: Tex-Mex Goodness From Tres Carnes
Executive Chef Sasha Shor of Tres Carnes stopped by The Couch to show us how to make street cart-style corn (“Esquites”): Mexican Street style corn “off the cob” with spicy chili-lime mayo, topped with Mexican crema and grated Cotija cheese.
– 8-10 sweet corn cobs
– ½ cup good quality mayonnaise
– 4 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
– Juice of 3 limes (approx. 4 TBSP)
– 1 TBSP butter
– 1 tsp mexican chili powder
– 1 tsp sweet paprika
– ½ tsp chipotle powder
– ¼ tsp cumin
– ¼ cup Grated Cotija cheese (Mexican hard cow’s milk cheese)
– Plain Mexican crema (or sour cream thinned with a little milk)
– Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper to taste
– Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with Fresh cut lime wedges.
1. Make chili-lime mayo: mix mayo, lime juice, spices, salt & pepper, cilantro in a small bowl. Set aside or refrigerate (can be made 1 day ahead).
2. Grill or roast corn in husks until kernels are soft (about 20-30 minutes) 3. Cool slightly then clean thoroughly to remove husks and silks.
4. Broil or grill on high flame for a few minutes more to slightly char some of the kernels. Remove kernels from the cobs with a sharp knife.
5. On medium heat, melt butter in a small pot and add corn kernels to warm through.
6. Remove from heat, stir in chili-lime mayo until all corn is coated. Season to taste with more s/p if desired.
7. squeeze some crema over the corn and sprinkle cotija cheese over. Garnish with some chopped cilantro
Serve corn hot with fresh lime wedges for squeezing on top.
To make your own Texas-Smoked Taco Bar:
– A stack of 6″ white corn tortillas, warmed and kept covered under a towel or in a tortilla warmer (approx. 4 tacos per person)
– Smoked meats (you can pick up a few pounds each of smoked brisket, BBQ pulled pork, smoked sausage or smoked chicken from your favorite authentic TX BBQ restaurant. Most of them sell their meats by weight.
– Bowls of your favorite salsas, hot sauces, guacamole, pickled onions and jalapenos.
– A variety of fresh toppings, such as sliced radishes, chopped cilantro, chopped white onion, sliced green onion, cut lime wedges)
– Crema or sour cream, shredded or grated Mexican cheese such as cotija or queso fresco.
To make tacos:
Place 2 warm corn tortillas on a plate, put some smoked meat on, and layer small amounts of guac, salsas, fresh toppings and cheese on top. Fold around the filling, and enjoy!
Add a big bowl of tortilla chips, extra bowls of guacamole and salsas, a side of street cart corn “esquites” with some ice cold Texas and Mexican beers with fresh lime wedges and you have the total Tres Carnes experience: The very best of where Texas meets Mexico!