NANUET, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Police in Rockland County are warning residents about an apparent larceny scheme targeting seniors.
The alleged scheme involves contractors doing unsolicited work on residents’ homes, the Clarkstown Police Department said.
Police said on Wednesday, an elderly Nanuet woman saw two men working on her driveway. She had not arranged for any work to be done, but thought another family member might have called the contractors, police said.
The men then rang the bell and asked to be paid in cash so the victim could get a receipt, police said. That’s when she drove to her bank with the men following, took out more than $5,000 in cash and handed it over, according to police.
The men said they would come back the next day to give her a receipt, but never returned. Police said the work that was done on the driveway was inadequate and substandard.
Authorities say there are some simple steps residents can take to protect themselves for similar schemes:
- Be wary of contractors who come to your home unsolicited claiming that your home is in need of expensive repair work.
- Never agree to have work done on the spot.
- Get at least two written estimates from licensed contractors prior to the start of any project.
- Do not pay the full amount up front or other unreasonable advance sums.
- Make sure all work to be performed is thoroughly described in your contract.
- Don’t be bullied or pressured.
- Call the police and get a license plate number if a door-to-door contractor won’t take “no” for an answer.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Clarkstown Police Department at 845-639-5800 or their TIPS line at 1-877-639-6233.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- Seen At 11: N.J. Pediatricians Say ‘Troubling’ Trend Against Vaccination Is Driving Patient Dismissal Policy
- CBS2 Exclusive: Giants’ Nikita Whitlock Has Home Vandalized With Hateful Graffiti
- LI, Westchester Residents Concerned About Plans For New Cellphone Poles
- 2 Young Girls Dead After Apparent Radiator Steam Blast In The Bronx