Newtown, Conn. Schools Put On Lockdown After Phone Threat
NEWTOWN, Conn. (CBSNewYork/AP) — The school system in Newtown was briefly placed on lockdown Monday, after someone made a threatening phone call to a school near the site of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre.
Interim schools superintendent John Reed said the threat was implied Monday afternoon in a call to Hawley Elementary School. Reed said no one was hurt.
Hawley is less than two miles from Sandy Hook, where gunman Adam Lanza killed 20 first-graders and six educators in December.
Newtown has increased school security since then.
Reed said Newtown Police Chief Michael Kehoe and other officials responded to Hawley and joined officers stationed there to investigate. He said the chief requested the district-wide lockdown.
The lockdown ended when schools dismissed for the day. It caused busing delays throughout the district.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Officer Dies, 8 Others Injured In NYPD Van Crash In Hunts Point
- Protesters At People’s Climate March In NYC Call For Financial Incentives To Help Fight Global Warming
- Prosecutor: Rutgers Student’s Death May Be Alcohol-Related
- 1 Dead, Dozens Injured After Bus From NYC-Based Company Crashes In Delaware
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)