Cooking On The Couch: Cucumber Gazpacho
NEW YORK (WLNY) — Seamus Mullen has gotten rave reviews for his inventive and modern cuisine, but a few years ago his career almost ended after he was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.
But lucky for foodies everywhere, Chef Mullen is back on his feet — literally, and figuratively. He stopped by The Couch to give us a taste of his award-winning cuisine and to tell us about the rheumatoid arthritis campaign he’s launching.
Cucumber Gazpacho Recipe:
4 English cucumbers, peeled and seeded
6 TBSP olive oil
1 shallot, finely minced
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 T. good sweet cider vinegar
1/4 C. chopped fresh dill
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
juice and zest of 1 lemon
4 T. plain yogurt
1. In a medium sized sauce pot, heat the olive oil over medium low heat and gently sweat the shallots and garlic until translucent, about 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Add cucumbers along with 1 cup of ice water to a blender and blend on high until smooth.
3. Add the yogurt, dill, and vinegar and pulse until fully incorporated. With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil with the shallots and garlic.
4. Finish with lemon zest and juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside to chill in the refrigerate for 45 minutes.
5. Divide amongst 4 chilled bowls, finish with a drizzle of olive oil and serve.