ATLANTIC HIGHLANDS, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) — Officials are awaiting necropsy results to try to determine if heat caused the death of a dog at a New Jersey kennel.
The dog’s owner, Danielle Collins, said Bugsy was healthy when they dropped him off at the Dogs on The Farm kennel in Atlantic Highlands on Thursday.
Collins said she received a call on Friday saying the 6-year-old French bulldog died after being left outside in direct sun light for 90 minutes.
“I asked her why was he outside for that long? Why wouldn’t you keep him inside in this kind of day — in this heat?, Collins told 1010 WINS. “Her answer to me was because inside was actually hotter than outside. It is clearly stated on their website that they are a climate controlled facility and that is what we expected when we entrusted them with his care.”
Dogs On The Farm co-owner Karen Leipzig said cameras showed Bugsy rested in the shade and the staff tried to revive him after he collapsed.
“We’ve never had anything like this happen,” Leipzig told the Asbury Park Press. “We feel horrible for the owner and the owner’s family.”
“We have young children — they’ve grown up with Bugsy — he is part of our family,” Collins told 1010 WINS. “We are working with the ASPCA. They’re doing their investigation and we entrust the truth will come from their findings.”
“We are completely devastated,” Collins added. “You expect that your animal will be taken care of. You entrust the professionals with his life. You assume they are privy to the breed’s needs for safety — for basic safety.”
The kennel fired the employee who was responsible for the dog and is implementing new policies that would limit time outside in hot weather.
“We’re extremely upset,” Leipzig told the paper. “They [the dogs] are like family to us. We’d like to know what happened.”
Leipzig told APP the kennel paid for the necropsy for Bugsy.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- Wake Held For Fallen FDNY Firefighter William Tolley
- Black Bear Leaves Family Trapped In Rockland County Home
- Worry Mounts About Lead Paint Chips Falling From Queens Elevated Subway Trestle
- Tourist Struck, Injured By Hammock That Blew Off Lower Manhattan Terrace
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)