NEW YORK(CBSNewYork) — The new boardwalk in Long Beach is stronger than ever, at least according to city officials.
A 4-block section of boardwalk that had been damaged by Superstorm Sandy was re-opened on Saturday morning.
Upgrades to the boardwalk included stronger tropical hardwood, a new retaining wall, and energy-saving LED lighting.
On Friday Sen. Chuck Schumer called the opening of the boardwalk a ‘victory’.
“We’re like a boxer that’s been knocked down, but Long Beach has gotten up and delivered the knockout punch against Sandy with the completion of this boardwalk,” he said.
Schumer said FEMA will be picking up the tab for most, if not all, of the $44 million price tag.
Vacationers in Long Beach were pleased by the progress and called it an important milestone.
“I’m happy for the town, this is such a great town. I hope they’re able to lure people back and make things the way they were,” Karen Hofstetter of Ridgewood, N.J., told CBS 2 on Friday.
The entire 2.2-mile stretch of boardwalk is expected to be completed by November.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories