NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — It’s the nightmare scenario for Alex Rodriguez: fight a lifetime suspension for his alleged role in Major League Baseball’s latest performance-enhancing drugs scandal or accept a ban until the 2015 season, which could very well end his career.
According to the New York Daily News, league officials “hope to know by Monday” whether A-Rod will accept an immediate ban without pay for the remainder of this season and the entirety of 2014.
If he shoots down the deal, MLB is expected to pursue a lifetime suspension, the Daily News reported.
The Yankees third baseman is expected to be given a lengthy ban for his ties to Biogenesis, the closed anti-aging clinic in Florida accused of distributing PEDs. He admitted in 2009 to using performance-enhancers from 2001-03, but has denied the latest accusations. On Monday, Milwaukee Brewers star Ryan Braun accepted a 65-game suspension from MLB for his part in the scandal.
A-Rod, who turned 38 on Saturday, would forfeit a sizable chunk of his salary but could potentially make the $61 million remaining on his deal from 2015-17 if he takes the reported settlement.
“There’s no deal that I’ve instructed anyone to do at this point,” Rodriguez told WFAN radio earlier this month.
A source close to the slugger told the Daily News that A-Rod would “fight” any suspension.
The latest and perhaps most bizarre twist in the saga came Wednesday, when a doctor retained by A-Rod went on WFAN radio to announce the star had no apparent injury present on his MRI. Rodriguez, who had offseason hip surgery and hoped to make his 2013 debut last week, was shut down by the Yankees after being diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain of his left quadriceps.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories