MIAMI (CBSNewYork/AP) — Tino Martinez resigned as the Miami Marlins’ hitting coach hours after complaints by players that he verbally abused them became public.
Martinez was in his first year as a professional coach this year. He was in the dugout for Sunday’s 3-2 win over the Pittsburgh Pirates, then met with Marlins officials and resigned.
“I want to apologize to the Marlins organization for my behavior,” Martinez said. “I have made some comments to certain players at certain times that I thought was more constructive criticism. Obviously, they didn’t feel that way, and it kind of backfired on me.”
Martinez said he once touched a player in anger, grabbing rookie Derek Dietrich by the jersey in the batting cage early this season. Dietrich, recently demoted to Triple-A New Orleans, was among the players to complain about Martinez.
Martinez said he offered to resign earlier, but team owner Jeffrey Loria wanted him to stay on the job. When the complaints by players became public in a story Sunday by the Miami Herald, Martinez became certain he should resign.
“It has been building for a few days,” he said. “I didn’t know this was going to come out publicly. When this came out, I thought it was the right thing to do.”
The Marlins said a new hitting coach would be hired soon. Martinez previously worked for the Yankees under Brian Cashman as a special assistant to the general manager and was an occasional color commentator on the YES Network.
The young team ranks last in the majors in runs, home runs, batting and slugging, and the 45-year-old Martinez said he became frustrated as players struggled.
“I just thought with some young players you needed to be a little firmer and try to get them on the right track,” he said. “I probably used some four-letter words. I thought I was doing the right thing. Obviously, I wasn’t.”
Martinez batted .271 with 339 home runs, and he was a four-time World Series champion with the New York Yankees. He had a three-year contract with the Marlins but said because he resigned, he’ll receive no buyout.
He declined to speculate on whether he’ll coach again.
“I don’t know long term how it’s going to affect me,” he said. “Right now I’m disappointed in myself. I’m embarrassed. Right now I’m not worried about the future. I just want to make sure my family is OK.”
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Rutgers Faces Tall Order In Replacing Janarion Grant
- Ray Rice Waits For Second Chance, Doesn’t Begrudge Greg Hardy
- WFAN’s John Minko Uninjured After Witnessing Hoboken Train Crash
- Jets Bring Back WR Jeremy Ross, Add WR Myles White To Practice Squad
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)