Robber Wanted In String Of Broad Daylight Robberies In Brooklyn
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Police on Sunday were searching for a robber who is wanted in 14 broad daylight robberies in Brooklyn – many of them targeting victims 65 or older.
The robberies happened between July 10 and this past Wednesday in the Marine Park, East Flatbush, and Canarsie sections of Brooklyn. In every case, the suspect flashed a silver handgun at the victims and demanded their jewelry.
One of the victims, named Daniel, talked with 1010 WINS’ Gene Michaels. He said he was returning from the store last Sunday, and was carrying some bags down the driveway when the robber thrust a gun in his face.
The robber demanded Daniel hand over the chains he was wearing, or else he would blow Daniel’s “(expletive) head off.”
Then, Daniel said, the suspect ripped them from Daniel. But it didn’t end there.
“He said, ‘Take off the ring.’ I said, ‘No, I’m not taking it off.’ He stick the gun in his waist, and then he tried to get in my pocket,” Daniel said.
But Daniel would not allow that.
“I saw the opportunity to drop him on the ground,” Daniel said.
And he did just that. They rolled around there for a while, with Daniel’s knees getting ripped up on the concrete because he was wearing shorts.
But the robber got up and ran away.
Police said the following victims were robbed by the suspect tat the following dates, times and locations:
• A 70-year-old man on July 10 at 11:30 a.m., in front of 976 E. 40th St.;
• A 67-year-old man on July 14 at 9:25 a.m., in front of 1199 Schenectady Ave.;
• A 57-year-old man on July 18 at 11:30 a.m., at East 39th Street and Avenue H;
• A 66-year-old man on July 18 at 1:40 p.m., in front of 629 E. 42nd St.;
• A 74-year-old man at 10 a.m. July 19, in front of 733 E. 45th St.;
• A 78-year-old man at 4 p.m. July 23, in front of 952 E. 39th St.
• A 48-year-old woman at 3:30 p.m. July 24, at Avenue H and East 55th Street;
• A 62-year-old woman at 4 p.m. July 24, at Avenue I and East 53rd Street;
• A 64-year-old man at 5:25 p.m. July 24, in front of 618 E. 38th St.;
• A 66-year-old man at 2:25 p.m. July 26, in front of 674 E. 77th St.;
• A 70-year-old man at 3:20 p.m. July 28, in front of 693 E. 38th St.;
• A 70-year-old man at 10:15 a.m. July 31, at 488 Rockaway Pkwy.;
• A 55-year-old man at 11:38 a.m. July 31, at 542 E. 81st St.;
• A 50-year-old man at 11:45 a.m. July 31, at 597 E. 95th St.
The suspect is described as a black male between the ages of 18 and 25, standing between 5 feet 2 and 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighing about 150 pounds, with a light complexion and a slim build. He was last seen wearing a light-colored baseball hat.
A surveillance video of the suspect has been released.
Anyone with information was asked to call the NYPD Crime Stoppers at (800) 577-TIPS, log onto the Crime Stoppers Web site, or text tips to 274637 (CRIMES) and enter TIP577.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- CBS2’s Lonnie Quinn: Move Of 50 Miles Made Difference Between Paralyzing Blizzard And Mild Snowstorm
- Travel Bans Lifted For New York, New Jersey & Connecticut; Transit Services Resuming
- County Executive Bellone Says Suffolk ‘Hit Hard’ By Storm
- Women Who Survived Horrific Experiences In Holocaust Bond At Long Island Museum