News

City Hotel Program For Sandy Victims Will End Next Week

FEMA Funding To End Monday; Last Day Of Program Set For Thursday
Hotel Room

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The Federal Emergency Management Administration will end its funding Monday for New York City residents impacted by Superstorm Sandy to stay in hotels.

But as WCBS 880’s Jim Smith reported Saturday, the last night for the program will be this Thursday, Oct. 3, for the approximately 300 people who are still taking part.

Judith Goldiner of the Legal Aid Society said 50 people moved out in just the past week.

“Just shows that if the city gave people more time you know really everyone could transition into a safe permanent house,” Goldiner said.

She said one client hast just received her rental assistance, but now has to worry about housing come the end of the week.

“She just needs a little time to go through the bureaucracy and rent her apartment,” Goldiner said.

Earlier this week, New York State Sen. Daniel Squadron (D-Manhattan/Brooklyn) wrote a letter to Mayor Michael Bloomberg, urging the city to re-evaluate its evacuation plans.

“I find this plan to be thoroughly unacceptable,” Squadron said. “Instead of the City evicting some of the most vulnerable Sandy victims, we should instead be focusing our efforts on connecting them to long-term stable housing.”

“Hurricane Sandy devastated the lives of thousands of families, and these 350 New Yorkers have suffered even more than most. I look forward to working with you to do the right thing and move forward in the most thoughtful and compassionate way,” the letter went on to say.

But City Corporation Counsel Michael Cardozo said the city cannot afford to continue the program in the absence of FEMA funding.

Those without funding come Friday will have access to the city’s homeless shelters.

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories