NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — An attorney said Wednesday that the man accused of killing a 6-year-old boy who vanished in 1979 should be released because it is taking too long to get to trial.
Hernandez was a clerk at a convenience store near where the boy was last seen. The boy’s body has never been found.
Hernandez’s lawyer, Harvey Fishbein, asked a judge Wednesday to release his client.
Police and prosecutors said Hernandez confessed to suffocating the boy and putting his body in a trash bag. Fishbein said his client is schizophrenic and bipolar, and the confession was false.
Fishbein said Wednesday his client has languished in jail while prosecutors drag their feet.
Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi-Orbon said prosecutors are moving as fast as they can.
The judge did not release Hernandez.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop Won’t Run For Governor, Endorses Former Ambassador Murphy
- Thousands Of Dollars In Party Deposits Gone As Long Island Synagogue’s Caterer Disappears
- Nearly 250 Young Students In Paterson, NJ Suspended Last Year
- Caught On Video: Deer Attacks Driver After Being Struck By Car
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)