A-Rod Supporters Fail Boomer & Carton’s Pop Quiz
Yankees CentralShop for Yankees Gear
Buy Yankees Tickets
NEW YORK SPORTS HEADLINES
NEW YORK (WFAN) – Flags, signs, chants and coffee spillage.
It’s been a wacky few days in Manhattan with Alex Rodriguez appealing his 211-game suspension handed down by Major League Baseball. Members of the group Hispanics Across America have turned out by the hundreds to throw their support behind A-Rod, who was given a lengthy ban for his reported ties to Biogenesis, the shuttered Florida clinic accused of peddling performance-enhancing drugs.
Two protesters holding signs that read “Randy Levine is the devil” admitted this week to a New York Daily News photographer that they had no idea who exactly they were protesting against. Levine is the Yankees’ president.
That said, the “Boomer & Carton” show decided to put a few more supporters to the test. Show staffer Tommy Lugauer headed to the MLB offices on Wednesday, delivering his results Thursday morning.
The guys weren’t impressed.
“Do you know what team drafted Alex Rodriguez?”
Supporter: “Um, Yankees.”
Correct answer: Seattle Mariners.
“Do you know how many MVPs he’s won?”
Supporter: “I think six.”
Correct answer: three.
“When he hits a home run, do you know John Sterling’s radio call?”
Supporter: “How is it? I think it’s ‘See ya!’”
Correct answer: An A-bomb! From A-Rod!
“Do you know the team he hit his 500th home run against?”
Supporter: “Uh, Yankees.”
Correct answer: Kansas City Royals. He was playing for the Yankees.
Hispanics Across America president Fernando Mateo was on hand and on the attack again Wednesday, wearing a neck brace after an alleged run-in — featuring the aforementioned hot coffee — with a security guard Tuesday.
Some of his comments:
– “Don’t listen to Randy Levine and the New York Yankees, who are really the undercurrent, pushing Bud Selig before he leaves to get this guy out of the game.”
– “We need to make sure that the punishment fits the crime. We’re not saying don’t punish him. Please, I want to make that very clear. What we are saying is don’t give him the death sentence.”
– “Punish him! Fine him! But don’t end his career.”
– “We want them to hear the fans. We want them to know that A-Rod has a family, has a foundation.”
– “We’re gonna hit the Yankees in their pocket, where it hurts. We’re gonna ask the people to boycott. We’re gonna protest in front of Yankee Stadium. Randy Levine should resign.”
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories