TRIPOLI (CBSNewYork/AP) — New details were released Sunday about two anti-terror operations overseas – one in Libya, the other in Somalia.
As CBS 2’s Cindy Hsu reported, the United States said the military operations should send a message to terror organizations around the world that there is no hiding from justice.
On Saturday, U.S. Special Forces captured Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai, known by his alias Anas al-Libi, in a raid. Al-Libi is on the FBI’s most-wanted list with a $5 million bounty on his head, CBS News reported.
He was captured outside his home in suburban Tripoli in broad daylight.
“This was a big get, and it was a risky get, because you were going into a major metropolitan area,” said CBS News National Security Correspondent David Martin.
Al-Libi’s family said he had just returned from morning prayer when masked men surrounded his car. Al-Libi’s brother called the capture an “act of piracy.”
Al-Libi was indicted for the 1998 twin embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania. He is one of the original members of al-Qaeda, and one of the few who was still at large.
“We’ll want to know what he knows, not just historically, but currently, in terms of what al-Qaeda is planning,” said CBS News Senior National Security Analyst Juan Zarate.
On Sunday, the Libyan government said it “contacted the American authorities and asked it to present clarifications” regarding the al-Libi abduction. It also said it hoped the incident would not impact its strategic relationship with the United States, CBS News reported.
But U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said the raid send a message to all terrorists.
“We hope that this makes clear that the United States of America will never stop in its effort to hold those accountable who conduct acts of terror,” Kerry said.
Also Saturday, a U.S. Navy SEAL team swam ashore in Somalia and engaged in a firefight with suspected al-Shabab terrorists. It was not clear if the group’s leader was killed, wounded, or simply got away.
Al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the deadly Nairobi mall attack two weeks ago.
There were no American injuries or casualties in either U.S. operation.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- FBI Setting Up Shared Responsibility Communities In New Jersey To Stop Home-Grown Terrorism
- 8,300 Rat Complaints So Far In New York City This Year
- Man Accused Of Breaking Into Multiple Cars In Queens
- 2 Unions Reject NJ TRANSIT Contract
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)