Report: Johan Santana Wouldn’t Rule Out Re-Signing With Mets
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Johan Santana missed the entire 2013 season after re-tearing his shoulder capsule prior to Opening Day.
After surgery was performed on him by Dr. David Altchek in April, many assumed that his Mets career was over — and that his career was in jeopardy.
Well the four-time All-Star — well-known for his competitive fire — is working on returning for the 2014 season, and a reunion in Queens isn’t out of the question.
The Mets signed the star pitcher to a six-year, $137.5 million deal in 2008. The contract includes a $25 million club option for 2014 with a $5.5 million buyout. After buying him out, general manager Sandy Alderson might look to sign the two-time Cy Young Award winner on the cheap.
Last week, Alderson told WFAN host Mike Francesa that re-signing the 34-year-old is a “possibility.” And Santana’s agent, Chris Leible, told The Star-Ledger on Tuesday that his client hasn’t ruled out re-signing with the Amazin’s.
He did add, however, that the left-handed pitcher and the team have not spoken about the matter.
Santana began throwing last week in Fort Myers, Fla., according to Leible, and is preparing to be healthy for Spring Training.
“He’s not putting pressure on himself,” Leible told the newspaper. “It’s not intense. He just started throwing. But it’s a big step and he expects to be ready for Spring Training.”
In 109 starts for the Mets, the former ace went 46-34 with a 3.18 ERA. His most memorable moment in Flushing came on June 1, 2012, when he threw the first — and only — no-hitter in franchise history.
“I don’t really know what Johan’s thinking,” Alderson told Francesa on September 30. “We’ll talk to him, I’m sure, over the next couple of weeks, but I think he wants to pitch. We’ll just have to see what the market is for these guys, and how much of our resources we want to allocate to somebody coming off injury or somebody you hope was able to pitch for you at a higher level.”
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories