NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – New York Homeowners seeking the “STAR” school tax reduction will have to re-register to get the tax saving benefit for 2014.
The basic “STAR” school tax reduction can save hundreds of dollars for New York homeowners per year.
Ordinarily registration in the program is automatic, but not this year. New York State is requiring the re-registration to prevent fraud and “double dipping” in the system, WCBS 880’s Sean Adams reported.
Greenburgh town supervisor Paul Feiner received a notification in the mail last week that he would have to re-register. Feiner says he’s received complaints about the mailing.
“It was not personalized. It was addressed to ‘property owners,'” Feiner said. “I’ve already heard from many constituents in my town that they threw the mailing out because they thought it was a form letter, junk mail.”
Feiner has written to Gov. Andrew Cuomo asking for additional resources. Feiner fears there will be a flood of last-minute calls as the Dec. 31 deadline approaches.
According to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance, people looking to sign up with the program have to:
- Provide a STAR code, mailed to each Basic STAR recipient
- Provide names and social security numbers for all owners of the property and spouses
- Confirm that the property is the primary residence of one of its owners (married couples with multiple residences may only claim one STAR exemption)
- Confirm that the combined income of the owners and their spouses who reside at the property does not exceed $500,000
- Confirm that no resident owner received a residency-based tax benefit from another state
To register for the program, click here.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Robbery Victim Charged After Allegedly Running Down Suspect In Brooklyn Stick-Up
- New York City Council Members Cracking Down On Illegal Airbnb Activity
- Coast Guard Will Determine If Battered Royal Caribbean Ship ‘Anthem Of The Seas’ Can Set Sail
- Brooklyn Teen Fatally Shoots Friend While Celebrating Video Game Victory