NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Police have arrested a 13-year-old boy in connection with the attack of a 12-year-old Brooklyn boy who claimed he was a victim of the “Knockout Game.”
The suspect was taken to the 71st Precinct in Crown Heights by his mother, charged with third-degree assault and aggravated harassment and then released back into his mother’s custody, police told 1010 WINS. He is scheduled to appear in court Wednesday.
According to a news release by the Jewish Future Alliance, the alleged attacker denies that he was playing the “Knockout Game,” in which youths sucker punch innocent bystanders for kicks.
The Nov. 6 attack on the Jewish child took place on President Street and Brooklyn Avenue in Crown Heights.
In an interview last week with CBS 2’s Tony Aiello, the victim, who asked not to be identified, said he was more interested in an apology than seeing his attackers go to jail.
The yeshiva student, who is devoutly religious, said he thinks a mandatory moment of silence in public schools would help.
“I think this could have all been prevented,” the boy said.
“The boys and teens would know that there’s always a God watching them, and they wouldn’t only be afraid of the police,” he added.
The boy’s father said that after his son was struck at random by the group of teenagers, one gave “a hysterial, happy shout: ‘We got him.'”
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- NY Judge Drops Defamation Suit Over Rolling Stone College Rape Story
- NYPD: Suspects Stole Victim’s Wedding Ring In Ridgewood Robbery String
- Police Search For Man Who Allegedly Touched 11-Year-Old Girl’s Chest
- 1010 WINS Sources: 2 Men In Custody In Connection With Killing Of Carey Gabay, Aide To Gov. Cuomo