News

Report: ‘Knockout Game’ Suspected In Bronx Attack

Victim Was Apprached From Behind, Punched In Back Of Head, Report Says
FILE -- NYPD car is viewed in Times Square. (Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

FILE — NYPD car is viewed in Times Square. (Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Another “knockout game” incident was suspected in an attack Wednesday in the Bronx, according to a published report.

The victim, a 23-year-old man, was attacked by three men at 167th Street and Nelson Avenue around 5:15 p.m. Wednesday, according to a New York Post report. The suspects approached the victim from behind and hit him in the back of the head, police said.

A witness told the newspaper the man fell “like he got shot.”

The “knockout game” has been blamed for numerous other assaults, many of them in Brooklyn. The so-called game is a violent trend in which youths sucker-punch unsuspecting strangers for kicks.

Earlier this week, Mira Harpazi, 72, was walking two blocks from her home at the Starret City housing complex in Brooklyn when she was punched in the face by a man in his 20s.

Like other alleged “knockout” victims, she was not robbed, but left on the street injured.

Online videos from various cities show young suspects randomly punching innocent victims.

Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com: