Report: Cano Denies Asking For $300M, Slightly Lowers Price
Yankees CentralShop for Yankees Gear
Buy Yankees Tickets
NEW YORK SPORTS HEADLINES
NEW YORK, NY (CBSNewYork) - According to free agent second baseman Robinson Cano, the words “$300 million” have never come out of his mouth.
Cano was in the Dominican Republic on Thursday to honor the World Baseball Classic Championship that team won earlier this year.
While at the ceremony Cano spoke with the local website El Dia and said, “nobody has ever heard that come out of my mouth and you’re never going to hear it.“
Representatives for Cano and the Yankees met multiple times earlier this week to work towards a new contract, but according to Mark Fiensand of the NY Daily News, both sides are still very far apart.
Fiensand also said via Twitter, “the $310M demand from Cano’s side remained until Tuesday, though it was lowered ‘very slightly.'”
Cano is seeking a 10-year contract, while the Yankees are reportedly offering a seven-year contract worth $161 million.
Brian Cashman and the Yankees have a lot of holes to fill in during the offseason. He wants to bring in two starting pitchers, adding to a rotation that has holdovers CC Sabathia and Ivan Nova. Hiroki Kuroda has not announced if he will return next season.
Earlier this month Cashman conceded that they could be outbid for Cano as the team tries to stay under that $189 million luxury tax figure.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories