NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Two men have been killed in a fire authorities said was sparked by careless smoking in a Bronx apartment building.
The blaze broke out around 10:30 p.m. Thursday in the living room of an apartment on the top floor of a six-story building at 2700 Grand Concourse.
Witnesses described watching as flames poured out of the windows. One of the residents is being credited with knocking on doors and getting several other neighbors to safety.
It took 60 firefighters half an hour to bring the fire under control. Authorities said a 49-year-old man and a 44-year-old man were found unconscious inside the apartment where the fire started.
Both were taken to the hospital and pronounced dead. Three firefighters also suffered minor injuries.
The Fire Department says the apartment had no working smoke alarm.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com: