NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Target is now the subject of an investigation by the Department of Justice following a credit and debit card security breach that affected millions of its shoppers over the course of several weeks.
Last week the retailer had revealed that more than 40 million accounts had been hacked between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15.
Emilio Langilotti told CBS 2’s Steve Langford that somebody recently charged about $2,000 worth of items from Amazon.com to his debit card. When Amazon called to confirm the order, Langilotti said the purchases were news to him.
Now, Langilotti is putting the blame on Target, where he used his debit card on Nov. 25. The Staten Island native said it was money that he had planned to spend on Christmas gifts for his family.
Target says it is working with the justice department and Secret Service. The retailer even released photos of the company’s CEO and executive team meeting to discuss the breach.
However, Target’s response has not been enough to keep shoppers from taking legal action, even after it offered free credit monitoring for those affected. The company is now facing class-action lawsuits, accusing it of failing to “maintain reasonable security procedures and practices,” Langford reported.
Shoppers who continued to patron Target stores as Christmas quickly nears said they’re still wary of becoming a Target. Most of the people Langford spoke to Monday said they were paying with cash.
Target reiterated Monday its responsibility in dealing with the breach, telling CBS 2 “It’s most important for our guests to know they will bear absolutely no liability for any fraudulent charges as a result of this breach.”
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- All-Female Nude Shakespeare Performance Seeks To Change Perceptions In Prospect Park
- 6.1-Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Rome, Central Italy
- City Health Department Continues Full Court Press Against Zika With Public Forum
- Epic Gridlock Prompts Travelers To Drag Luggage Along Grand Central Parkway To LaGuardia