More Subpoenas Likely In George Washington Bridge Lane Closure Investigation
NEW JERSEY (CBSNewYork/AP) — Additional subpoenas are likely to be issued in connection with the investigation into why an appointee of Gov. Chris Christie ordered lanes approaching the George Washington Bridge closed for several days.
Assemblyman John Wisniewski said his office is examining about 5,000 documents from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and its top two state appointees.
The documents were provided as a result of subpoenas issued earlier this month, but they only tell part of the story, Wisniewski said. He said other documents may be needed to fill in the gaps.
In September, two inbound lanes of the George Washington Bridge were closed without warning, causing gridlock at the mouth of the span in Fort Lee, New Jersey.
The lanes remained closed for four days until Port Authority Executive Director Patrick Foye ordered them reopened.
The lane closures not only prompted state and federal investigations, but also forced the resignation of Christie’s top two Port Authority deputies — childhood friend David Wildstein and former state Sen. Bill Baroni.
Democrats have suggested that the closings were carried out by a loyalist of Gov. Chris Christie because Fort Lee’s mayor declined to endorse the governor for re-election. Christie has denied the accusations.
Wisniewski said he is trying to determine how high up the chain of command the authorization went and how such an abuse of power could have occurred.
Wisniewski was granted subpoena power to investigate the Port Authority before the scandal broke, but he will lose that authority when the Legislature reorganizes on Jan. 14.
The lawmaker has said he plans to prefile paperwork to renew his authority to subpoena documents and witnesses in order to continue the investigation.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- Great Neck Woman Pinned Under Tree: I Did Not Think I Was Going To Make It
- Search Continues For West Village Burglary, Groping Suspect
- Survivor Files Lawsuit In Limo Crash That Killed 4 On Long Island
- Police: Suspect Arrested For Attempted Murder, Other Charges In Shooting Of Off-Duty Officer In Brooklyn
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)