NJ TRANSIT Urges Fans To Use Mass Transit To Get To Super Bowl
TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES
NEW YORK SPORTS HEADLINES
NEWARK (CBSNewYork) – Super Bowl XLVIII is getting ready to kick off in East Rutherford on Feb. 2, 2014.
Ahead of the big game, NJ TRANSIT revealed changes to its regular schedule to accommodate the expected crowds.
“We have put together a plan that offers expanded service and additional capacity to ensure that both Super Bowl guests and regular NJ TRANSIT customers can travel with ease during the entire week,” said Executive Director James Weinstein.
Here are the planned changes, according to NJ TRANSIT:
Rail Service During Super Bowl Week
- From Wednesday, January 29 through Friday, January 31, to accommodate visitors traveling to Super Bowl Boulevard in New York City, NJ TRANSIT will operate additional late morning service on the Northeast Corridor and Morris & Essex Lines inbound to New York, as well as additional late evening service outbound from New York.
- On Saturday, February 1, NJ TRANSIT will add trains throughout the day between Summit and New York on the Morris & Essex Lines, between New Brunswick and New York on the Northeast Corridor, and between South Amboy and New York on the North Jersey Coast Line.
- Throughout Super Bowl week, NJ TRANSIT trains will operate with extra cars as needed to accommodate increased ridership demand.
Rail Service on Super Bowl Sunday
- On Super Bowl Sunday, February 2, NJ TRANSIT will operate Meadowlands Rail Line service from Frank R. Lautenberg Rail Station at Secaucus Junction to MetLife Stadium starting at 1:40 p.m. and continuing up to game time, using 10-car multilevel trains to provide additional capacity. NJ TRANSIT will also operate special shuttle trains between New York Penn Station, Newark Penn Station and Newark Liberty International Airport to Secaucus Junction.
- Following the game, NJ TRANSIT will offer frequent service from MetLife Stadium to Secaucus Junction as well as extra rail service between New York Penn Station and Secaucus Junction.
- Direct Meadowlands Rail Line service between Hoboken Terminal and MetLife Stadium will not operate on Super Bowl Sunday. Hoboken customers traveling to and from MetLife Stadium must transfer at Secaucus Junction.
- Customers seeking to board trains to MetLife Stadium from Secaucus Junction are subject to enhanced security screening. In addition to purchase of round-trip rail fare to the Meadowlands, customers must present their game ticket in order to travel between Secaucus and MetLife Stadium on Super Bowl Sunday. Customers boarding trains will also be required to adhere to the NFL’s Stadium Bag Policy. For further details on the NFL’s policy, visit www.nfl.com/allclear.
- From Wednesday, January 29 through Saturday, February 1, NJ TRANSIT bus routes will offer expanded service options at various hotels throughout northern New Jersey—guests should check at their hotel desks or visit njtransit.com for more detailed service information during that time.
- From Wednesday, January 29 through Saturday, February 1, NJ TRANSIT buses will offer expanded service at North Bergen Park & Ride in North Bergen, Vince Lombardi Park & Ride in Ridgefield, and Mother’s Park & Ride in Wayne.
- From Wednesday, January 29 through Saturday, February 1, NJ TRANSIT will offer expanded midday, afternoon peak and evening service on selected bus routes to and from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York. Some bus routes will have their PABT departure gates changed from 10 p.m. until 1 a.m. Visit njtransit.com for more detailed service information during that time.
- From Wednesday, January 29 through Saturday, February 1, NJ TRANSIT will offer expanded midday, afternoon peak and evening service on selected bus routes to and from the Newark Liberty International Airport and downtown Newark/Newark Penn Station.
- Some bus routes will be subject to service adjustments and detours during Super Bowl week, including on game day. Details will be posted on njtransit.com during that time.
Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Service
- From Monday, January 27 through Friday, January 31, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail service will operate double-car trains until midnight, as well as two extra trips per hour between 2 p.m. and midnight.
- On Saturday, February 1 and Sunday, February 2, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail service will operate on all three branches (West Side Avenue-Tonnelle Avenue, 8th Street-Hoboken Terminal, and Hoboken Terminal-Tonnelle Avenue), with double-car trains operating until midnight. Additional trains will operate between 2 p.m. and 2 a.m. on these days.
- Additional service may be operated to serve major events that are scheduled along the system.
Newark Light Rail Service
- On Media Day, which will take place on Tuesday, January 28, at the Prudential Center in downtown Newark, Newark Light Rail will operate additional trains between Newark Penn Station and Newark Broad Street Station to provide service every 15 minutes in each direction through most of the day.
Access Link Paratransit Service
- Access Link paratransit service will be accessible on Super Bowl Sunday, as well as throughout Super Bowl week. Advance reservation of one to seven days in advance are required for certified Access Link customers or certified, out-of-state ADA paratransit service customers.
- SUPER PASS: NJ TRANSIT is offering a commemorative, unlimited ride SUPER PASS to speed travel for customers and offer the flexibility to utilize the entire NJ TRANSIT system throughout Super Bowl Week. SUPER PASS is now available to the general public via online orders only at njtransit.com/superbowl through January 20.
- Family Super Saver Fare: NJ TRANSIT is offering a special extension of the Family Super Saver Fare, which allows up to two children 11 and younger to travel free with each fare-paying adult. The Family Super Saver Fare will be in effect all through Super Bowl week.
- From now through February 9, NJ TRANSIT’s Championship Dining program will offer exclusive, discounted dining and shopping experiences at more than 50 locations across the state. For a complete list of participating restaurants and their exclusive offers to NJ TRANSIT customers, please visit: www.njtransit.com/superbowl.
For all the latest Super Bowl-related NJ TRANSIT information, click here.