Long-Standing Astor Place Newsstand Closed Down By City Reopens
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – New York City’s new mayor has helped an old Manhattan newsstand get back to business.
Jerry Delakas’ longtime newsstand in the East Village that had been padlocked for operating without the proper license has reopened.
As WCBS 880’s Rich Lamb reported, Delakas attended Mayor Bill de Blasio’s Gracie Mansion open house on Jan. 5 and talked to the mayor briefly about his trouble.
Delakas’ lawyer credits de Blasio for helping his client reopen.
“He told an aide to get on it right away and within days, we were able to resolve the lawsuit,” attorney Arthur Schwartz said. “We were able to work out a settlement through the city’s legal department over the last several days that Jerry his own license.”
The stand has been a fixture on Astor Place since 1987 and reopened Tuesday.
“I’m ecstatic. I am so relieved and happy,” a longtime customer told Lamb.
De Blasio’s spokesman says the city is happy it could reach an outcome ensuring the stand will remain a part of the community for years to come.
The newsstand was closed last month after the Department of Consumer Affairs said Delakas’ monthly fee arrangement for the stand wasn’t legal.
He’s agreed to pay $9,000 in fines.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Fire Safety Experts Warn That Bad Habits At Home Could End In Tragedy
- Nathan Lane On Robin Williams: ‘Nobody Was More Kind Or Generous’
- Three People Killed In Multi-Vehicle Crash In Freehold, N.J.
- Wedding Photos Returned To Rightful Owner After Washing Up On Staten Island
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)