NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Those visiting the the National September 11 Memorial & Museum will have to shell out $24.
As WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell, the admission fee was announced Thursday.
The fee has been a source of controversy, with critics saying the cost is too high. But Debra Burlingame, a museum board member whose brother was killed on 9/11, said there is no government funding, so all costs need to be covered by visitors.
“To suggest that we make it free is just fiscally impossible,” she said.
Earlier this month, Mayor Bill de Blasio called for the federal government to provide financial support for the museum.
The museum will open in May, and it will be free to the public for three hours every Tuesday evening. Relatives of 9/11 victims will be granted free admission at all times.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- NJ TRANSIT Engineer Involved In Deadly Hoboken Train Crash Identified
- Woman Who Died In NJ TRANSIT Crash Recently Moved To Hoboken From Brazil
- Transportation Industry Sources ‘Baffled’ At What Caused Deadly Hoboken Train Crash
- ‘It Simply Did Not Stop’: Witnesses Describe Chaos After NJ TRANSIT Crash In Hoboken