Three Recovering After Gas Leak, Explosion On Staten Island
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Three people are recovering after a gas leak led to an explosion at house on Staten Island Wednesday night.
Around 5 p.m., the FDNY responded to call of a gas odor at the home on Delaware Street.
“As soon as I opened my car door, I smelled the gas,” said Liz Saporito, who lives across the street.
About two hours later, the gas leak sparked an explosion in the basement of the home, CBS 2’s Kathryn Brown reported.
“I heard a big boom,” Saporito said. “I just saw some debris flying and the firemen rushed to the door, knocked on the door and grabbed the two people who were inside.”
The two residents who were home at the time were injured and rushed to a nearby hospital. A firefighter was also injured, and was in serious but stable condition
Firefighters scrambled to get other residents to safety and evacuated more than a dozen homes as a precaution.
Overnight, crews were able to determine the break was in a 30-year-old gas main.
People were allowed back into their homes after the gas was turned off.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- Search Continues For Suspects Sought In Brooklyn Attack Caught On Video
- Board Of Education To Decide On Suspension Of Sayreville High School Football Coaches
- Massive Ebola Training Session To Be Held At Javits Center As CDC Releases Revised Gear Guidelines
- 1 Injured In Hell’s Kitchen Apartment Building Fire