Officials: Extension Cord Caused Fatal Fire In Brighton Beach
NEW YORK(CBSNewYork) — Fire officials say they have discovered the cause of a fire that claimed the life of an elderly woman and injured a man in Brighton Beach early Saturday morning.
Officials say an extension cord plugged into several large appliances sparked the flames that ripped through the 7th Street apartment, CBS 2 reported.
The call came in around 2:40 a.m., CBS 2’s Janelle Burrell reported.
After the early morning fire was extinguished police discovered Feyga Geyman, 82, unresponsive and unconscious with burn trauma, she was pronounced dead at the scene by EMS.
An 85-year-old man who also lived in the building was taken to Staten Island University North Hospital with burn trauma to his hands.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- N.Y. State Budget Agreement Includes Education, Ethics Reforms; Eliminates Minimum Wage Hike
- Malloy Bans State-Funded Travel To Indiana Over ‘Religious Freedom’ Law
- NYC Struggling With Apparent Homeless Encampments In Herald Square Transit Corridor
- Organization Says Feral Cat Colonies At Jones Beach Threaten Piping Plovers