News

1st Home Razed As Part Of N.J. Sandy Buyout Program

Martin and Theresa Kuczynski's Sayreville home is razed as part of the NJ Sandy buyout program, March 13, 2014. (credit: Levon Putney/WCBS 880)

Martin and Theresa Kuczynski’s Sayreville home is razed as part of the NJ Sandy buyout program, March 13, 2014. (credit: Levon Putney/WCBS 880)

Superstorm Sandy

SAYREVILLE, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – The first of four planned home demolitions in a superstorm Sandy-ravaged community has begun.

As WCBS 880’s Levon Putney reported, an excavator’s claw ripped through 25 years of memories at Martin and Theresa Kuczynski’s Sayreville home on Weber Street.

“I’m not really too sad because to me, it’s just like we were selling the house to somebody,” Martin Kuczynski told Putney.

“There’s memories but memories will go with you no matter where you are,” Theresa Kuczynski said.

The state buyout program will level homes in flood-prone areas and return it to green space.

“Of course, they’re going to be knocking a lot of these houses down and if we didn’t move, I think our property value would’ve been a lot lower,” said Martin Kuczynski.

Martin and Theresa Kuczynski stand in front of what was their home in Sayreville as it is razed as part of the NJ Sandy buyout program, March 13, 2014. (credit: Levon Putney/WCBS 880)

Martin and Theresa Kuczynski stand in front of what was their home in Sayreville as it is razed as part of the NJ Sandy buyout program, March 13, 2014. (credit: Levon Putney/WCBS 880)

This is the first home to be razed statewide in the “Blue Acres” program.

“Sayreville was the first town that came to us,” New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Assistant Commissioner Rich Boornazian told Putney.

The $300 million program will cover tearing down about 1,300 homes in flood-prone areas.

“We’ve made 50 settlements so far,” said Boornazian.

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories