WASHINGTON (CBSNewYork/AP) — The piece needed to fix a defective ignition switch linked to 13 traffic deaths would have cost just 57 cents, according to documents submitted by General Motors to lawmakers investigating why the company took 10 years to recall cars with the flaw.
At a hearing Tuesday, members of a House subcommittee demanded answers from new GM CEO Mary Barra about why the automaker used the switch in small cars such as the Chevrolet Cobalt and Saturn Ion even though it knew the part didn’t meet GM’s own specifications.
Rep. Diana DeGette, D-Colo., held up a switch for one of the cars and said a small spring inside it failed to provide enough force, causing car engines to turn off when they went over a bump.
DeGette showed how easy it was for a light set of keys to move the ignition out of the “run” position. That can cause the engine to stall and the driver to lose power steering and power brakes.
Since February, GM has recalled 2.6 million cars over the faulty switch. The automaker said new switches should be available starting April 7. Owners can ask dealers for a loaner car while waiting for the replacement part. Barra said GM has provided more than 13,000 loaner vehicles.
According to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles, 28,500 cars registered in the state are on the recall list.
“Today’s GM will do the right thing,” Barra said. “That begins with my sincere apologies to everyone who has been affected by this recall.”
GM has said that in 2005 company engineers proposed solutions to the switch problem but that the automaker concluded that none represented “an acceptable business case.”
“Documents provided by GM show that this unacceptable cost increase was only 57 cents,” DeGette said.
In her prepared statement, Barra said she doesn’t know “why it took years for a safety defect to be announced,” but “we will find out.”
In an exchange with Tim Rep. Murphy, R-Pa., chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations, Barra acknowledged that the switch didn’t meet the company’s own specifications.
Murphy also read from an email exchange between GM employees and those at Delphi, which made the switch. One said that the Cobalt is “blowing up in their face in regards to the car turning off.”
Murphy asked why, if the problem was so big, GM didn’t replace all of them in cars already on the road.
“Clearly there were a lot of things happening” at that time, Barra said.
Barra repeatedly said the answer to lawmakers’ questions would be part of GM’s internal investigation.
In his prepared remarks, David Friedman, head of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, pointed the finger at GM, saying the automaker had information last decade that could have led to a recall, but shared it only last month.
Rep. Fred Upton, R-Mich., chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, said GM and government regulators received complaints about the switches 10 years ago, and GM submitted reports to the agency. Upton questioned why it took so long to recall the cars.
Committee member Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., said that committee staff members found 133 warranty claims filed with GM over 10 years detailing customer complaints of sudden engine stalling when they drove over a bump or brushed keys with their knees.
The claims were filed between June 2003 and June 2012.
Waxman said that because GM didn’t undertake a simple fix when it learned of the problem, “at least a dozen people have died in defective GM vehicles.”
Some current GM car owners and relatives of those who died in crashes were also in Washington seeking answers. The group attended the hearing after holding a news conference demanding action against GM and stiffer legislation.
“Driving this car was like playing a game of Russian Roulette with my safety and that of my friends,” said Samantha Denti, of Toms River, N.J. “I can’t even begin to explain the fear and confusion that runs through you that moment when you have no control over your car.”
As CBS 2’s Tony Aiello reported, Barra also announced Tuesday that General Motors has hired attorney Kenneth Feinberg to advise it on its recall, but the company said his hiring doesn’t necessarily mean it will establish a fund for victims.
Barra said Feinberg will bring his extensive experience with compensation to the company. Feinberg, an expert in disaster fund management, handled the Sept. 11 Victim Compensation Fund as well as funds for victims of the Boston Marathon bombing and the BP oil spill.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Driver Ejected From Vehicle In Fiery Route 80 Crash, Authorities Say
- Port Authority Police Arrest Man With Loaded Gun, Switchblade, Hollow Point Bullets At Port Authority Bus Terminal
- Trump To Speak On Obamacare Repeal, Tax Cuts In First Speech To Joint Session Of Congress
- New Jersey Congressman Bringing Linden Police Officer To Trump Speech
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)