Conn. Launches Cybersecurity Plan To Keep Utilities Safe From Attack
HARTFORD, Conn. (CBSNewYork) – Gov. Dannel Malloy has announced a cybersecurity plan to protect Connecticut’s utilities from an outside attack.
As WCBS 880 Connecticut Bureau Chief Fran Schneidau reported, the state chairman leading the effort comes with a solid intelligence background.
The utilities are working to prevent a cyber attack that could lead to the loss of water, natural gas or electric power, potentially for a long time.
WEB EXTRA: Read The Report (pdf)
Arthur House, who heads the state Public Utilities Regulatory Authority, authored a newly-released report of the subject and is outlining a plan and a strategy for the state.
Among the recommendations for the utilities are to begin self-regulated cyber audits, emergency drills and training and safe handling confidential information.
“The expertise in this field is within the utilities. They started years ago; they have information technology experts, they have cybersecurity experts,” House told Schneidau.
House previously worked in intelligence and said utilities in Connecticut and nationwide are continually targeted for cyber attacks.
“All utilities are probed all the time and occasionally, you’ll see one will get penetrated but not to the extent of actually turning off the electricity,” House told Schneidau.
House said he thinks any attack would more than likely be regional. He said the plan is to get ahead of the problem before it happens.
With Malloy’s announcement Monday, Connecticut became the first state to outline a cybersecurity plan in conjunction with the utilities and will share its strategy with other states looking to do the same.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories