TEANECK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — Students, faculty and parents gathered at Teaneck High School on Wednesday to rally in support of the students who were arrested during an early morning senior prank at the school last week.

One senior at the rally, who did not want to be identified, told 1010 WINS’ Holli Haerr she’s on the honor roll, was part of the prank, and that the night did not go as planned.

“I went, blew up some balloons and then I got arrested by the cops,” she said.

The senior is under 18 years old so she wasn’t charged, but those over 18 in the group of 62 students arrested around 2:30 a.m. on May 1 were charged with burglary and criminal mischief.

Rally at Teaneck H.S. by faculty, parents & students in support of seniors arrested during senior prank (Credit: Holli Haerr/1010 WINS)

Rally at Teaneck H.S. by faculty, parents & students in support of seniors arrested during senior prank (Credit: Holli Haerr/1010 WINS)

Those who attended the rally said the charges should be dropped. They also said people have gotten the wrong impression of the high school.

“Our community is one of the best communities ever, ’cause we’re just so diverse here and everyone’s just so loving and caring,” said another senior, who was not involved in the prank.

“Half of the stuff they said they did, they didn’t do. And I know half of the kids and they’re great kids and I really think they got a bad rap,” parent Jennifer Ricketts told CBS 2’s Alice Gainer.

Ricketts attended the rally even though her daughter, who is a senior, was not among the dozens arrested.

Bill Moring’s 18-year-old son was.

“He’s been processed for burglary, criminal mischief,” he said.

Moring said many people knew about the upcoming senior prank and feels the punishment does not fit the crime.

“He’s got a scholarship to go to school next year. He’s a really smart kid, he’s a great kid and we’re all worried,” he said.

Police initially reported that students dragged desks and chairs into the halls, and had urinated in the hall ways during the prank, but the school’s superintendent later said custodians found no indication of urine and that no permanent damage had been done, Haerr reported.

School officials said they feared the reports of damage to the school were exaggerated.

Teaneck police said the investigation is ongoing and wouldn’t comment further regarding the extent of the damage.

Following a four-day suspension, the seniors involved were all back in class Wednesday.

A meeting was also held Tuesday night between the superintendent, teachers, parents, and students.

Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:


Watch & Listen LIVE