Norovirus Blamed For More Than 100 Illnesses Following Dinner At Willow Ridge Country Club
HARRISON, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Every one of the more than 100 students and teachers from Rye High School who fell ill after attending a dinner at the Willow Ridge Country Club are expected to recover.
Earlier this week, Rye School Superintendent Frank Alvarez sent a letter to parents informing them that the suspected cause of the gastrointestinal illness was the common, but contagious norovirus.
As WCBS 880’s Jim Smith reported, the dinner on April 30 at the country club in Harrison was supposed to be a night to celebrate academic achievement. But it turned into a nightmare.
Following the dinner, dozens of students and staff members began to experience vomiting, diarrhea, and other symptoms associated with the illness.
“The health department has given us a number of recommendations to implement in order to contain and stop the spread of this virus. The Rye High School and Middle School have both undergone a thorough cleaning process over the weekend, but we also need your help to break the chain of infection,” the letter said.
School officials asked that any students who were experiencing gastrointestinal illness stay home for at least two days. Parents were also asked to inform Tracey Barnett, Director of Health Services so that steps could be taken to identify and eradicate the virus. Barnett can be reached at 914-967-6100 ext. 1931.
The health department said that one of the guests at the dinner had already been infected and spread the virus. The country club has undergone an intense disinfection.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- NYC Schools Chancellor Unveils New Task Force To Combat Cheating, Uphold Academic Integrity
- Heavy Delays After Truck Fire Closes NJ Turnpike In Both Directions In Linden
- NJ State Police Search For Suspect In Shooting Outside Concert At PNC Bank Arts Center In Holmdel
- Dog Stolen From Owner’s Driveway In New Jersey Found At Animal Shelter