Police Search For Suspects In String Of Robberies In South Richmond Hill, Queens
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Police on Tuesday were asking the public to help them find between two and four suspects in a string of robberies in South Richmond Hill, Queens.
In all of the incidents, the suspects targeted Asian victims – primarily in the area of Liberty Avenue and 125th and 126th streets in Queens. The suspects assaulted the victims, and stole items from them, police said.
None of the victims required hospitalization.
The incidents happened at the following times and locations:
• Around 8:55 p.m. Thursday, April 10, near 126th Street and Liberty Avenue. A 31-year-old man was approached by a suspect who pushed him against the wall, demanded his property, and took his watch, necklace, bracelet, wallet, ring, iPhone and $80 before running off;
• Around 5 a.m. Saturday, April 19, in front of 125-04 Liberty Ave. A 34-year-old man was approached by four suspects who punched him and took his wallet containing $80 and miscellaneous items;
• Around 5:20 a.m. Monday, April 21, at the corner of Liberty Avenue and 125th Street. A 54-year-old woman was walking to a bus stop when she was approached by two suspects who demanded her pocketbook and pushed her up against a fence. The suspects took her wallet, $5, and her cellphone and fled in a black vehicle;
• Around 10:45 p.m. Wednesday, April 30, in front of 104-09 126th St. A 56-year-old man was approached from behind by two suspects, one of whom pushed him while the other took his wallet containing $560, credit cards, and a New York State driver’s license. The suspects fled on foot;
• Around 12:20 a.m. this past Friday, near Rockaway Boulevard and 113th Street. A 55-year-old man was approached by two suspects, one of whom followed him and took his wallet with $700, credit cards and a New York State driver’s license while the other hit him in the face. The suspects sped off in a black Kia Optima headed east on 111th Street.
One of the two suspects is described as a Hispanic male in his 20s, standing 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighing 150 pounds. The other is described as a black or Hispanic male in his 20s, standing 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighing 160 pounds.
Police have released a surveillance video from the scene of the most recent incident.
Police said the suspects always took off in a dark car, 1010 WINS’ Sonia Rincon reported.
Neighbors in the area told Rincon they don’t know what to make of the robberies.
Daurice said the neighborhood has seen a lot of shops go out of business lately.
“You have people on the street, fewer places for people to go, and fewer jobs because people are losing their jobs once these stores close. People get desperate and this is what happens,” she said.
Other residents said the neighborhood is a lot safer than it used to be.
“Most of the time at night time it’s really dead around here. There’s nobody around here,” one man said.
“Most of the time it’s safe, but people come from other neighborhoods and do stuff in here,” another man added.
Anyone with information was asked to call the NYPD Crime Stoppers at (800) 577-TIPS, log onto the Crime Stoppers website, or text tips to 274637 (CRIMES) and enter TIP577.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories