2 Hudson County, N.J. Schools Locked Down Due To Reported Intruders
UNION CITY, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) – There were tense moments Thursday for two Hudson County, New Jersey elementary schools, as they were each placed on lockdown for similar reports of intruders.
The first incident happened around 8 a.m. Thursday at George Washington Elementary School in Union City, when a staff member noticed an intruder inside the building, CBS 2’s Christine Sloan reported.
Police said a man was found rummaging through a desk in a secretary’s office in the basement of the building and the school was placed under lockdown as a precaution.
“Immediately upon notification, the school was already in lockdown so we were able to ascertain the area where he was in. It appeared to be a small office within the basement area away from the children,” said Union City Police Chief Richard Molinari. “He appeared to be going through a desk, so we believe the intent was he was possibly trying to find some items inside the desk area.”
Many worried parents waited outside until the lockdown was declared over by 10:20 a.m. and said no one was telling them what was going on.
“Scary, that’s your child in the school,” one parent said.
“I have no idea what’s going on and even when you get here, you ask questions and no one tells you anything,” said parent Richard Huet.
Molinari said the man fled into a stairwell and exited the building. He remains at large.
The school superintendent met with parents to discuss the incident.
Later around 4 p.m. in neighboring Weehawken, it was Daniel Webster No. 2 Elementary School that was placed on lockdown.
Police believe an intruder entered at the same time students were going home.
As of Thursday night, there had been no arrests. Police continued to search for both suspects.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- New Study Shows Simple Thermostat Adjustment Can Boost Metabolism
- Police: 1 Skydiver Dead, 1 Critically Hurt After Parachute Fails On Long Island
- 1 Suspect Charged, 1 Sought In Attack On Woman In Midwood
- New York To Spend Up To $300M To Raise Homes In Flood Zone
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)