3-Alarm Fire Rips Through Harlem Building Housing Fried Chicken Restaurant
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — An extra-alarm fire broke out Friday evening in a Harlem building housing a fried chicken resident.
Six firefighters were injured — one seriously — in the three-alarm blaze, which the FDNY said broke out around 7 p.m. at Mama’s Fried Chicken, at 300 W. 155th St.
As of 10:30 p.m., one firefighter had suffered a serious, but non-life-threatening injury. The other five suffered minor injuries.
More than 30 units and 100 firefighters were sent to the scene, and used tower ladders to extinguish the fire from the outside.
But the fire was not under control as of 10:30 p.m., and had spread to another building.
Several other businesses in the two-story building were also affected.
WCBS 880’s Monica Miller spoke to someone who was working at a deli in the building, which was rendered a shell of itself.
He said he started to smell smoke around 6 or 7 p.m., and he evacuated the store with his customers.
By 10 p.m., at least a dozen firefighters were still staged under the Macombs Dam Bridge at 155th Street.
The smoke was so bad at one point that some residents put their shirts over their mouths just so they could breathe.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- Councilman: New High-Rises Are Leaving Central Park In Shadows
- Seen At 11: Pets Can Suffer From Allergies Just Like Humans
- Hundreds Turn Out To Mourn Young, Cold Spring Man Killed By Heroin
- Bratton: NYPD Detective Placed On Modified Duty After ‘Unacceptable’ Tirade At Uber Driver
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)